Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pearls for Lona


My mother has a friend that she met at her church. Her name is Lona, and she recently celebrated her 100th birthday! My mom mentioned that Lona is in good health, and is definitely young in spirit.

I haven't met Lona yet, however she made me a wonderful gift. She filet-crocheted our last name into a doily-like, framable wall decoration! She gave it to my mom, and asked my mom to deliver it to us.

Now imagine this: A kind elderly lady, possibly with arthritic fingers busily working away to make a gift for the daughter of a friend of hers. How sweet is that?

Wouldn't you think that her eye-sight would be failing, and that perhaps the end-result would be--a little irregular, albeit made with love?

Well, think again!

I am also a crocheter, and have made several thread crochet pieces. (And, in case you're interested in my needle-work resume, I've won blue ribbons at the county fair on several of my crochet pieces. OK, please excuse my cracking knees as I arise from my curtsy.) I can spot a well-crocheted piece. And this piece could hold its own at any State Fair, and would probably strut away with Best-in-Show/Grand Champion!

Her stitches are regular. OK, not merely regular, but PERFECT! In addition to this, many needleworkers know that the correct blocking of a finished piece makes or breaks the end result. The blocking on this piece is impeccable. Every stitch in place, each row aligned. Superb!

I am truly humbled by the quality of her work, and touched by her generosity!

So my beads came out again.

I made her this bracelet as a thank you gift. I chose pearls, as they are a perennial favorite. I chose pink, because Lona is young, in just about every way! Instead of using a traditional box clasp that pearls dictate, I used a lovely--FABULOUS!-- filigree clasp that my Hong Kong friend, Winnie, sent to me. A little peg inserts into the center of the clasp to close it, and the peg is held in place with tiny magnets. I figured this would be easier to close than any other clasp, however this is probably overkill as I imagine that Lona's fingers are probably more nimble than yours or mine!!!

And because my mom told me that Lona is a spunky lady, I added a little kicking spunk to the center of the bracelet--a pearl encrusted with Swarovski crystals. (Thanks to Winnie, again, my Bead Angel!) Once again, my little signature: whimsy to a traditional piece.

I'll be sending the bracelet to her today. I can only hope that my pearl knotting-needlework will hold up under her scrutiny. Even if it doesn't, I can imagine Lona graciously saying that it does.

Now if I can only keep my fingers as nimble for the next 52 years...

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Donna, your beading is exquisite. Lona will love the bracelet that you made for her.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Donna, your beading is exquisite. Lona will love the bracelet that you made for her.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home