Friday, March 02, 2007

C'mon, Baby! Let's do the twist!



The pastor at our church loves to tie in songs and song titles to his sermon. Uh oh, looks like it's rubbing off on me! (See not only this post, but also the one about diamonds.)

For some unknown reason, I'm on this twist kick. It's like I can't get enough of it! I saw a bracelet made elsewhere that incorporates a similar twist, so this series of bracelets is inspired by that style.

This is an unusual bracelet. Most bracelets encircle your wrist, with the clasp suppposedly staying at the middle of the underneath part of your wrist. Anyone who has ever worn a bracelet knows that bracelets have a tendency to move around on the wrist, and we are forever adjusting them, trying to get the clasp to stay in the middle.

This particular design prevents that problem from occurring, or at least lessens it. How?

First of all, the bottom part of the bracelet is made with approx. 300 lined, glass beads that I've individualy sewn together to form a twist pattern. They contain a couple different colors, so they appear to change colors slightly in the light. The twisted tiny bead portion *stays twisted* and also curves gently around the bottom of your wrist.

The top portion attaches to the base at the side, and the clasp for the bracelet is on the other side of the wrist. I wear mind with the clasp facing away from my body, but you can wear yours towards the inner portion of your wrist if desired.

(I'm actually toying with the idea of making a variation on this bracelet as a different design. I'm considering making the base and the top part of bracelets that attach to one another with decorative magnetic clasps, which look like beads. Then you could purchase from a series of bases as well as tops that could mix and match, putting you as the final designer. [Hmmm, should I wear the pearl top with the purple base or the blue base today?] I could vary the top parts---make some in gemstone bead chips, or clunkier gems, or dainty pearls or crystals. The possibility of the mix & match variations is staggering!!)

Please share with me your thoughts on that idea.

For now, I'm making the twist bracelets with a single clasp. And they are so comfortable! The twist cuddles your wrist with no pinching, and the top of the bracelet stays in place!! I love, love, love this design, and have even made one that I intended to sell, but couldn't part with it. (And I'm receiving many compliments on it.) ;)

The one in this post is: Apatite for Apatite: The top portion incorporates genuine gemstones called Apatite. These stones are blue gems with flecks of teal. They are linked together with sterling-silver handmade links. This is a definite blue jeans piece---made to wear with your denim!! Additional beads are sterling silver, and the clasp is sterling silver as well.

Sometimes, jewelry with jeans looks kind of silly. You are dressing down for a reason! But this piece adds a little class to the everyday look that I so adore. You can go from a frumpy to a polished look with one piece of jewelry, and this is it! De-frump by asking me about the price for this item!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home