Monday, July 21, 2008

Confetti friend


It is time.

I've worn contact lenses since I was in the 9th grade, for distance vision. But as I've gotten a little older--uh, I mean better--my close range vision has been declining. So I made the leap to tri-focals.

When I went to choose my frames, I had the choice between the ultra-conservative frames, the conservative-to-modern frames, or the funky frames. I purchased from the updated conservative collection, however I did audition a few pairs of the funky ones. They just weren't right for me for every day use; but I did chuckle to think that one of my friends chose from that exciting collection when she chose her every-day glasses!

She's my Confetti Friend. The type who's fun, and can usually get me to belly-laugh within minutes! We used to meet at a coffee shop for a late evening snack or a cup of coffee every couple weeks, just like on a Friends episode. Only we're a little older. And not as pretty. And fatter. (OK, so it doesn't sound much like a Friends episode after all! Thanks for discovering the holes in my little analogy.)

I'd be wearing my requisite blue jeans, a sweater, and the newest necklace I'd made. She'd be wearing a fun outfit- usually with some type of stars or sparkles or appliqued embellishment. And her cool glasses. You wouldn't know what to look at first--her smile, her sequins, or her glasses that could only spell F-U-N!!

I've missed being around her since my hubby and I moved. I placed a call and a text message to her with no response. So I pouted on and off, realizing that this new chapter in my life might have cost me my friend--a casualty due to geographical distance.

So I pouted some more. But I was NOT going to be the one to reach out again. I'm a nice person, I have a nice life, and I'm not desperate for friends.

Then I buckled. I realized that I actually could swallow my pride just one more time! I rationalized that if I didn't hear back from her I'd bury this friendship, or at least put it on the back burner.

I dialed. When she came to the phone, she sounded sad and worn. Much to my chagrin, I learned that she had been extremely sick, even hospitalized in ICU for several days! How awful! And there I was, feeling sorry for myself that she wasn't calling me. It wasn't that she wasn't calling me, it's that she couldn't.

I'm not sure what upset me more--that she has been sick, that she was sick and I didn't know about it, or the fact that the spunk and giggle in her voice weren't there. Instead, I heard fatique and pain. And that was heartbreaking.

That did it! I can't take this!! It was time for my regular therapy appointment.

Bead therapy, that is!

Since I'm in a knotting state-of-mind, I pulled out the funkiest set of pearls I have in my collection to design a necklace for her. Each pearl seems to be a different color, or shape or style. I strung and strung, knotted and knotted. The size and the shape of these pearls resulted in uneven hole sizes and hole channels. This made the stringing even more difficult, and I found the thread jamming up inside the holes, with me coaxing it through with kind words and the tip of a needle.

But isn't the result fun? Whimsical, which I think is my favorite type of design--a different twist on a traditional format; pearls in outrageous colors that look like crepe paper streamers! (Can you see the color of the knotting thread? Florida Orange!) This isn't a necklace, it's a party! Can't you just hear someone blowing one of those uncurling paper party horns?

Like a clown, I will do almost anything to get my friend to smile and giggle again. I hope this necklace for her does the trick!

So, here's to better health and days ahead, my Confetti Friend. You'll be smiling again soon. And when you're back to smiling, remember, it's your turn to call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home