Monday, July 07, 2008

Opal Nuggets for Vanessa




Once in awhile I'll get a strand of beads that I call "keepers". A keeper is a strand that, well, I intend to keep for myself--like the necklace that appears in my last blog entry. The problem is that I tend to want to squirrel away too many things for myself. And that's not very nice.

Our niece, Vanessa just graduated from college. She has long, silky brown hair, and is an expert horse-woman. I wanted to design a set that would mirror her outdoorsy inclinations. (Many of you know that this might be difficult for me to do, since I much prefer an air-conditioned room to basking in 90 degree sun, but I digress.) I think I managed to design a set that can be tossed on after a brisk afternoon horseback ride. Alas, this strand tugged at my heart, and I knew I had to part with it since it would be perfect for her!

I decided to individually hand-knot these gorgeous Opal Nuggets (thanks to hand-knotting guidance from my friend, Winnie!) and tossed in some Golden Pietersite for good measure. Plus, the Pietersite gives the appearance of hidden flakes of gold left-over from California gold-mining. It kind of completes the whole riding-the-horse-into-the-sunset feel. I'm going with a theme here--please be gentle with me!

So here it is. I'm blasting this picture all over the internet even before Vanessa receives her gift because I'm so excited about how it turned out!

My keeper strand has turned into a sharer strand. And that makes me smile! But I'm not making any promises yet about sharing that honking hunk of turquoise that's propping up those earrings...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As a huge fan of opal, I would also call that strand a keeper :). I definitely could see Vanessa wearing these and the turqoise, brown combo would look great on her. It has a very "earthy" look and the colors remind me of the sky meeting the earth.
Anyway, it looks great- can't wait to see Ali's gift too!
<3 Kris

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your latest project, even though my dislike of horses themselves is a regarded fact. It has a Southwestern flavor, which is appropriate as wild horses are known to roam free among fields of blue bonnets in the American Southwest. Its flavor is strong enough that one could say it was "Chipotlesque." Great job and I'm sure she'll love it :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger grannylindasmith said...

Donna, I love it! As a horsey woman who wanted to be an Indian when she grew up, it appeals to me. I have tried to email you and your address must have changed since you left Findlay. "E" me. You jewelry pal Linda Smith.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home